Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Adam and Eve


These two paintings grew out of a story that I was reading about Van Gogh. While he was resting in the sanitarium he asked that a picture that he liked by Delacroix be sent to him. The picture that he requested was the Pieta painted in 1850. Van Gogh received a small printed copy, as I understand it, and he proceeded to paint a picture from this copy in his style. Unfortunately or not the copy that he received was reversed! So he painted a reverse image of the original. I just thought that was just to insane. I love both artists and being an artist I thought that I would add another chapter to the story. ( this will all have relevance when I'm extremely famous ) ( 200 + years ) I used the reverse image of Van Gogh and instead of depicting the death of Jesus, savior of all mankind, I thought that the beginning of all mankind would work for me. Van Gogh's painting is dark and tortured. I wanted hope and light. Sooooo here's Eve. Crouched, vulnerable, gazing out at the new bright world. The blue wrap is so often used with religious paintings and seemed to be appropriate for signifying Divine action and presence. I have always loved this painting.
All was well for a day or less. Eve is here wheres Adam?
Well Adam came with a blast! Quick and violent, Uncontrolled and daring. The opposite of Eve. Confident and adventurous, he flew on the canvas. Raw and powerful. Adam was man. Eve in all her beauty was woman. The nature of the genders, as I see them, sometimes, more or less, were placed on canvas.
My paintings are my emotions and understandings on the subject being depicted. I'm sure that there is a lot of psycho babble that can be attached but the truth is ............ there is supposed to be a point? right? oh well maybe latter.
These and others to follow are older paintings, to be defined as done before today, that always enjoy visiting with others. I will be posting some of these from time to time. They are all a part of my body of work ( I threw that in because it sounds so scholarly) ( there really paintings that I enjoy) Have fun and give the wold some beauty like a smile.







No comments:

Post a Comment