Friday, November 27, 2009

Vampire Girl 2


Don't you just love her!!!
Well here is the next step. I call it blocking in the background. There is no fast rule as to when this gets done. Most times I will block the face and main items in and then do the background. this time I am planning to keep the face somewhat pale and delicate. I decided that it would be best to work to a strong background to achieve this. The boldness of the strokes and the colors are meant to be a contrast to the peaceful still face. I love movement in a painting. Reflections of the world I live in.
I should define "blocking in". To me this is when I establish the color, composition and feeling of the picture. I do not have a formal education in art so the words that I have derived to express what I do may not match the text books. I have read and studied a tremendous amount. Learning is a constant process. I use to live in Norfolk Virginia not far from the Chrysler Museum. There is not a number that will encompass the times that I have visited there. Standing and studying an effect, composition or detail. Trouble with an eye? Head to the museum and study all the eyes. How did the masters and very very good artists do it? Where are the elements and effects in this style. Then of course a favorite of mine for practice and training the eye, mind and hand, is live drawing. I have hundreds of sketch pads, of all sizes, filled with these quick drawings. When I did the laundry at the laundry mat I would sit and sketch faces. People do not sit still!!! In fact they will move away if they see you looking at them and sketching. So this means that you have several seconds to see what needs to be seen and then draw it. Great fun!!
I use the five second rule. This teaches myself that I must know what the important main elements are that I am looking for. Shape, size, proportion to the whole, relation to other items and the importance to the overall feeling or expression of the subject. What are the unique details that make it stand out from the standard?
I have another rule "all sketches and paintings are practice!" I do not dally on perfecting everything I do to a "finished master piece". Got over that! Some are bad, some are good, there are always elements that are very good. Most importantly I always have developed more skills. Even mistakes lead to discoveries. There are no failures. I do not beat myself up worrying about not being good enough to show what I do. I live in the glorious feeling that I am doing and am better than the last year. Or so I think. I'm putting it on the Internet for all to see and I do not even know what it is that I am doing in the painting until it actually happens.
Coffee done got to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment