Monday, November 23, 2009

Vampire Girl 1


In this picture I wanted a vampire that wasn't all deep dark and Goth like. sweet, tender and...
yea..... we will see what happens?

I am using this blog to show what it is I do and maybe how and why. This Picture is the result of a request by my girl fiend(who is also my wife). We never got over that first love thing. However.... She, of course saw the "movie" and needless to say vampires were a must. I painted two art card sized ones that she liked. They are similar in the position of the face. I really liked what had appeared and decided to refine the idea and do it in oils. So here is the start so to speak.
Idea's come from a variety of places. Some times fast and some times they perk in the brain for a long time. In this one I just had to wait while I finished another step in a larger painting. Now I can devote the proper time to it.
The sketch, as you can see by the pencil lines, is composed using very classical methods of facial measurements. I use photos to work on muscle placement and lighting issues. I will also do clay sculptures when a problem presents itself and this is the only solution.
After the sketch I like to do a value study type of under painting. I may or may not work out all the elements of the painting.
A lot of my painting is seat of the pants. Colors are mixed at the time of their use. Elements are moved where ever they feel right and most importantly I let the painting tell me what to do.
Every painting comes with or develops a entity of it's own. This personality becomes involved in the process. Some time very forcefully. There are paintings I labor over and then there are paintings that I stop thinking and just respond to what is required next. I love these painting sessions. One side of my brain watches the picture unfold as an observer. " Wow red there? who would have ever thought that would work there? Perfect Wow" All great fun. I know that I'm well into this type of painting when I do not even look at the color of the tube. Just reach, grab, squeeze, paint. The color becomes evident as it is being applied. This is not a frequent thing.
Enough already.
I will post the other works in progress once I take a good photo of them, (face book picts very bad) and show them as they develop. I will also post some of the completed works that I and my wife enjoy.
Till then. Enjoy life's treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment